Friday, July 08, 2005

And today in Headington....

After the raw emotions of a terrible day in London yesterday I found myself surprisingly wary whilst out this morning. I was in Headington running a few errands and as I crossed the street I noticed a woman lying in the middle of the pavement.

There was another lady with her, and as I approached I noticed there was blood on her face and down her leg. For just a moment there all the images that have emerged from yesterday raced through my head, and I have to admit feeling a little alarmed. I very quickly realised that this lady had simply fallen and injured herself. We organised for an abulance to be called and I went and borrowed a blanket from one of the neady charity shops.

The reason I mention all this was because of the reaction there was by passers by and shop keepers. As this other lady and I took care of the woman we were inundated with offers of help, use of mobile phones and concerned people wanting to make sure this woman was okay. So many people wanted to help!

I wonder if others had reacted in a more pro-active way because of yesterday. I wonder if in some people's minds their priorities have shifted - even just a little. I was so heartened by the whole situation, as we have been hearing so much in recent times about the self absorbed nature of our society.

I've no idea who the woman was, but if I was her, in a painful and frightening situation like she found herself this morning - I'd have been so thankful to know just how many people cared enough to offer their help.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home