Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Stepping outside your comfort zone, and learning a new skill

I've not posted anything in a good few days - we are over a week into the school holidays and most days have been challenging!

Last week Elias got a nasty cold and was too unwell to even go out, it seemed to progress to a (thankfully) short lived ear infection over the weekend too. So poor Joy and I have been mostly stuck at home. But I in particular have not been twiddling my thumbs.

Since the bathroom suite was replaced almost a year ago we have had bare floor boards in our upstairs bathroom and toilet - it's surprising how you can get used to something like that! But it was far from ideal and we have been trying to rectify this fir many months. Sadly our flooring guy seems to have dropped off the planet someplace, and as we hope to leave this rented house soon, I felt that something really should be done. And as Robin has been away so much - it was going to be me to do it.

After a brainwave, I remembered that we had a carpet offcut from replacing carpet elsewhere - and thought I'd try my hand at laying carpet. Realising of course that it was not going to be very easy in such a small space with radiators, washbasin and toilets to fit around.

In the first ten minutes I almost called it quits - I was all legs and carpet and I felt like I was grappling with some odd creature with a mind of it's own. But after a good hour I was utterly thrilled to step out of the bathroom and marvel at what I'd accomplished. The change was remarkable - the room looked clean, fresh, stylish... and finished. Basking in my triumph was short lived as I realised that I needed to attempt the toilet next.

After buying more carpet the next day, I again set to trying to lay this carpet. This time it was after something like 5 minutes when I was so exasperated by the lack of space, and sanitary issues that I almost gave up. But, I didn't, and after a lot of huffing and puffing, and delicate maneuvering, then reaching into awkward spaces... Voila! I had laid my second piece of carpet.

Yesterday and today I again moved well outside my comfort zone in meeting with estate agents and our landlord, and then prospective replacement tenants - a very unsettling experience for me. But I did it, I guess I'm having a week of being stretched a bit.

Important Note: Don't get any ideas about me laying carpet for y'all - and especially not in such small spaces, I've got sore knees and fingers - and make no claim to be a professional!

2 Comments:

At 10:32 pm , Blogger wend said...

glad the day went so well mate

 
At 4:17 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki,
You must be taking after Great Grandad Mayfield, who was an expert carpet fitter!
Love
Patrick

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home