Saturday, June 25, 2005

Tesco in Abingdon (nr Oxford)

We were out his morning doing many errands, and found ourselves in Tesco’s over in Abingdon. I have to say I am a big fan of this store in particular as it sells such a huge range of things, all the groceries you’re likely to need plus a few other, perhaps more surprising things!

One range that I was not expecting was the camping gear – they do starter sets for under £50! Which include a tent, a couple of sleeping bags, sleeping mats and a carry bag – wow! Not bad I reckon. They also carry a large range of clothing at affordable prices (I’m a real fan of the ‘value’ clothes, especially for my rough and tough kids!) and home wares.

I guess the only downside I can see to having a shop like this, is that small independent shops simply can’t compete with the buying power that Tesco clearly has, and for that I am sad – local butchers seem to be a thing of the past around here.

But as a busy Mum, trying to seek out every available bargain I have to confess that Tesco has my vote…. at least for now.

4 Comments:

At 11:34 pm , Blogger The inimitable Mrs T. said...

I heard that Tesco is the second-largest employer in the country after the NHS!

 
At 2:40 pm , Blogger Nikki Mayfield said...

That doesn't really surprise me!

 
At 3:18 pm , Blogger Alana said...

I love Abingdon Tesco too - spend way too much there everytime!

I've got to say though there's nothing quite like a shop at Waitrose - I know it's a bit more pricey but I've got to admit it's a better shopping experience (not so busy, wider aisle, etc) and their fresh produce is much better quality I find. Though the basics are no better than Tesco and a bit more pricey.

 
At 3:30 pm , Blogger Nikki Mayfield said...

Yes Waitrose does exude more of an atmosphere of quality. And they sell some very nice luxury foods. But for now it's Tesco's for us, when we make our first million we'll start to shop at Waitrose.. no stuff that.. Fortnum & Mason! (oooh getting slighty carried away...)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home