Thursday, August 24, 2006

Star Wars - the big question for a new generation.....

Joy, my daughter, just turned eight.

She has been expressing a lot of interest in Star Wars of late..... And I've been thinking about this, whereas someone my age started our 'education' with 'A New Hope' - where does our next generation begin, at the original beginning or with the new prequels???

I can see this may stir up a whole can of worms - I see merit to starting with the classics, because that is what they are. But it may be confusing to then jump back and meet mini-not-yet-of-the-dark-side-Anakin?

So, I've left it to Robin. You'll have to ask him which film they are starting with.

2 Comments:

At 11:23 pm , Blogger Mr Thomas said...

I've had this discussion with my deeply SW-obssessed friend Simon, who has an interesting view. He suggested starting with IV, then V, so you get the Vader is Luke's father bombshell (which really HAS to be preserved for dramatic purposes). Then go back to I through III, to fill in the back story. Then, just when your child thinks the whole universe has descended into hell without a hope, bring them back to the Luke story and the ending to the saga with Episode VI. Bearing in mind Caleb has seen I and IV, and not really put much together yet, this might be the road we eventually go down.

 
At 11:07 pm , Blogger Nikki Mayfield said...

Only flaw with that plan is that III is really rather too intense for Joy, Robin just gained the origional 3 and Joy has watched 1 and has now hopped to the golden oldies.
Will be a little disjointed but hey - she's got a lotta years to piece it all together!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home